- Aguilar, E. (2020, May 14). What are resistant teachers hiding? Bright morning: Every conversation counts.
- In this blog, Aguilar discusses the emotions at the heart of what appears to be resistance and ideas for encountering that resistance
Effective coaching: Improving teacher practice and outcomes for all learners. (2014) West Ed. National Center for Systemic Improvement.
- This brief provides general information on coaching and examines critical coaching practices that are likely to lead to student outcomes. An appendix contains information about various coaching models.
Generative Conversations: Results through connection & meaning
- How do you create a converation that results in new values, meaning or results? This discussion of generative conversations explores its dialogue, perspectives and components of these conversations.
- Hoffman, A. (2020, April 23). The instructional playbook webinar. Instructional Coaching Group.
- This helpful post includes helpful descriptions and tips for using checklists with educators, as well as a free webinar examining this practice and its results.
- Hurtado, F. (2018, July 10). The loneliness of coaching. The Launch Pad.
- When a coaching role seems isolating, consider the steps discussed in this post.
- Kraft, M.A., Blazar, D., Hogan, D. (2018, August). The effect of teaching coaching on instruction and achievement: A meta-analysis of the causal evidence. Review of Educational Research. 88(4), 547-588.
- Quintero, D. Instructional coaching holds promise as a method to improve teachers' impact. (2019, January 25) Brown center chalkboard. Brookings Institute.
- Differences between instructional coaching and traditional professional development, results of evaluation, and considerations when moving forward with coaching.
- Abrams, J. (2009) Having hard conversations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Includes strategies to plan for hard conversations and offers sample scripts to illustrate steps.
- Aguilar, E. The art of coaching: Effective strategies for school transformation. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Aguilar, E. (2018).Onward: Cultivating emotional resilience in educators. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Covey, S.R. (2004) The 8th Habit: From effectiveness to greatness. New York, NY: FranklinCovey Co.
- Covey supports growth with information on modeling, pathfinding, aligning, and empowering with an emphasis on using our voices to serve others.
- Drago-Severson, E. & Blum-DeStefano, J. (2018) Leading change together: Developing educator capacity within schools and systems. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Learn to support individual and organizational growth with a differentiated approach to leadership and capacity building while building trust, capacity, and sustainability.
- Eisenberg, E.B., Eisenberg, B.P., Medrich, E.A. & Charner, I. (2017) Instructional coaching in action: An integrated approach that transforms thinking, practice, and schools. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Detailed guidance for coaches on creating conditions for educator-center coaching, getting buy-in from staff, defining the role of coaches, rolling out a coaching initiative, and ensuring ongoing success with coaching.
- Gross Cheliotes, L. & Fleming Reilly, M. Coaching conversations: Transforming your school one conversation at a time. (2010) Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Authors discuss the components of coaching with an emphasis on committed listening, powerful speaking, and reflective feedback.
- Killiion, J., Harrison, C., Bryan, C. & Clifton, H. (2012) Coaching Matters. Oxford, OH: Learning Forward.
- Explore the condictions, structures, and supports that are integral to giving coaching the potential to transform teaching and learning.
- Knight, J. (2016) Better conversations: Coaching ourselves and each other to be more credible, caring and connected. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Better conversations include coaching ourselves and others to become better communicators, listen with empathy, find common ground and build trust. Both a Reflection Guide and a companion website offer additional resources to implement the strategies included in this work.
- Knight, J. (2018) The Impact cycle: What instructional coaches should do to foster Powerful Improvements in Teaching. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Knight explains a three-stage cycle to use as coaches partner with teachers to improve student outcomes; a reflection guide is also available as a resource to support using this cycle.
- Knight, J. (2014) Focus on Teaching: Using video for high-impact instruction. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Lambert, L. (2003). Leadership capacity for lasting school improvement. Alexandria, VA.
- This work focuses on five components: skillful participation in the work of leadership, inquiry-based use of data to inform decisions and practice, broad involvement and collective responsibility for student learning, reflective practice that leads to innovation, and high or steadily improving student achievement.
- Marzano, R.J. & Simms, J.A. (2013) Coaching Classroom Instruction. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research Laboratory.
- Components, strategies, and forms for use in coaching as well as scenarios that clarify and offer ideas for application.
- Rock, M. (2019) The eCoaching continuum for educators: Using technology to enrich professional development and improve student outcomes. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Hints and how-tos for using technology for professional development and coaching.
- Stavros, J. & Torres, C. (2018). Conversations Worth Having: Using Appreciative Inquiry to Fuel Productive and Meaningful Engagement. Oakland, CA: Berrett Koehler Publishers.
- Tschannen-Moran, B. & Tschannen-Moran, M. (2010). Evocative Coaching: Transforming schools one conversation at a time. SanFrancisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Calling all Coaches April 2019 "Can a Principal be a Coach?"
- Callling all Coaches May 2019 "All About Trust"
- Calling all Coaches June 2019 "Influence & Outcomes"
- Calling all Coaches July 2019 "Setting a Goal"
- Calling all Coaches August 2019 "Have you thought about this?"
- Calling all Coaches September 2019 "Which one will you choose?"
- Calling all Coaches October 2019 "Hey! That happened to me too!"
- Calling all Coaches November 2019 "Have you seen this?"
- Calling all Coaches December 2019 "Does this ever happen to you?"
- Calling all Coaches January 2020 "Should you be a LAZY coach?"
- Calling all Coaches February 2020 "Can conflict result in growth?
- Calling all Coaches March 2020 "Questions, questions, questions"
- Calling all Coaches April 2020 "eCoaching? What's that?"
- Calling all Coaches May 2020 "Step-by-Step: A Closer Look"
- Calling all Coaches June 2020 "Step Two"
- Calling all Coaches July 2020 "What do you want more of?"
- Calling all Coaches August 2020 "Create your plan"
- Calling all Coaches September 2020 "Time to reflect"
- Calling all Coaches October 2020 "What did Confucius say about coaching?"
- Calling all Coaches November 2020 "Listen to a coaching conversation"
- Calling all Coaches December 2020 "What skills ... and when?"
- Calling all Coaches January 2021 "Coaching for Implementation?"
- Calling all Coaches February 2021 "What's the 'best' Question?"
Advanced Coaching Applications - Review of Steps in Coaching Conversations
- Reproducible worksheet that identifies steps in coaching conversations, descriptions and considerations for each, and a space for including questions
Coaching 101 Information Sheet
- This one page fact sheet highlights the elements of professional coaching.
- Use this one page sheet to record notes during coaching conversations.
- Review your role in professional conversations and use the information to set goals in your coaching skills.
Bright Morning: Every Conversation Counts
- Dozens of tools for individual and team coaching as well as informative blogs are just a couple of reasons to visit this site and sign up for the newsletter
Center for Appreciative Inquiry
- At first glance, this site offers information about Appreciative Inquiry (AI) trainings and workshops. Look a little deeper to find articles, ideas and a list of other websites based on the AI model.
Center for School Transformation: Enriching Conversations & Inspiring Change
- Resources include graphic tools, articles & handouts
Instructional Coaching Group
- Books, blogs, video presentations and an ever-increasing number of tools to support coaching that leads to professional growth
- This ESSDACK site provides links to professional growth via social media, virtual and in-person trainings for teams and individuals
National Center on Intensive Intervention: Trainers & Coaches Page
- Modules, guides and resources that provide support for coaching educators
National Equity Project
- Thought-provoking articles and research on achieving equity with resources on communication, conversations, and listening.
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Coaching
- An overview video and self-reflection assessment that helps target skills for growth are among the resources on this website