Are you interested in support for your LETRS professional development?
LETRS (Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling) is professional development that provides teachers the skills they need to master the fundamentals of reading instruction - phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, writing and language. LETRS (3rd Edition) is an online professional development experience designed to be supported by a facilitator throughout the course. LETRS is a self-directed training that includes an online course, reading and bridge-to-practice activities that result in the creation of case studies of students that you are currently teaching. If you are planning to take one of the LETRS Courses (LETRS Units 1-4 or LETRS Units 5-8) during the 2020-2021 school year but are in a district that doesn't have a Certified LETRS Facilitator to provide support TASN can help. TASN is offering facilitated online support sessions and two face-to-face sessions throughout the 2020-2021 school year. These support sessions are provided free of charge and led by Certified LETRS Facilitators.
If you plan to attend LETRS Faciliator training in the future, the publisher requires participation in one day of faciltiated support per unit for LETRS and two days of faciltiated support over the course of the LETRS for EC course.
To participate in the facilitated support sessions:
1. Purchase the LETRS course from Voyager Sopris Learning (VSL) - paid for locally
Call Customer Service: 1-800-547-6747
Email Kansas Sales Executive Robyn Rogers Robyn.Rogers@voyagersopris.com
Online at URLs below:
LETRS for Early Childhood Educators https://store.voyagersopris.com/letrs-for-early-childhood-educators/
LETRS Units 1-4 (Part 1) https://store.voyagersopris.com/letrs/
- LETRS Units 5-8 (Part 2) https://store.voyagersopris.com/letrs/
2. Download the suggested Pacing Guide for completing the LETRS course and dates for all support sessions.
3. Register for the TASN provided LETRS Facilitated Support Sessions for the Course
- Registration LETRS Units 1-4 online Facilitated Support Sessions
- Registration LETRS Units 5-8 online Facilitated Support Sessions
- Registration LETRS for Early Childhood Educators online Facilitated Support Sessions
- Required support sessions may also be completed with a Certified LETRS Facilitator or through support sessions directly from Voyager Sopris Learning. If you are using one of these options please notify Kevin Davis (email@example.com) for planning purposes.
Anyone planning to attend LETRS Facilitator training in the future must partipate in one day of faciltiated support per unit for LETRS and two days of faciltiated support over the course of the LETRS for EC course.
Scholarship Support for Individual Educators
If you are an educator in a district who is not covering the cost of the LETRS online course and are a member of the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) Kansas/Missouri you could be eligible for a scholarship to cover the cost of the course and materials. For more information IDA KS/MO visit their websiate at http://ksmo.dyslexiaida.org
Additional information about the scholarship they offer can be found at this URL https://ksmo.dyslexiaida.org/scholarship-applications/teacher-scholarships/
Is your district interested in having you as a Certified Local LETRS Facilitator?
The online facilitated support sessions are for participants of the LETRS online professional development who do not currently have a Certified LETRS Facilitator in district. If your district is interested in building internal capacity to provide ongoing professional development using the LETRS online courses, facilitator training sponsored by TASN is offered annually in Kansas. If your district is not committed to having other staff complete the LETRS online professional development in the future attending facilitator training is not necessary. Download the LETRS Facilitator Role flyer here.
TASN plans to sponsor LETRS Facilitator Training annually during the summer. Each LETRS facilitator training is limited by the publisher to 25 participants.
The LETRS online course(s) can be completed at any time. Spots in facilitator training will not be assigned until a passing score on the posttest has been achieved. Training spots will be assigned based upon a variety of factors including:
- Completion of the online course
- Passing the posttest (88% for Units 1-4/Units 5-8 and 90% for EC) with the score required by VSL by April 30, 2021
- Participation in ALL support sessions - through TASN, in district with Certified Local LETRS Facilitator or through VSL.
- District use of staff who are currently Certified Local LETRS Facilitators
- Districts will be limited to 2 spots at each facilitator training to accommodate more districts. Additional spots may be assigned based on space availability and district professional learning plan for use of LETRS.